Wife of a Drowned RCCG Pastor May Sue Spanish Hotel
Mrs Olubunmi Diya, the widow of the Redeemed Christian Church of God’s pastor who drowned alongside his two children, might sue the Spanish hotel whose swimming pool her husband and children drowned.
The deceased, Gabriel Diya, 52; daughter Comfort Diya, nine; and son Praise-Emmanuel Diya, 16; died on Christmas Eve at the Club La Costa World holiday resort in Fuengirola, Spain.
The woman alleged there was “something wrong” with the pool they died in, adding that she had hired a lawyer.
A Fuengirola-based lawyer called Javier Tor also confirmed he was now working for Mrs Diya, a British media outlet-metro.co.uk-reported on Saturday.
Hotel operator CLC World Resorts and Hotels had said ‘diligent and exhaustive’ police investigations had confirmed the pool was working ‘normally’ and there was “no malfunction of any kind.”
Mrs Diya, however, disagreed, insisting there was something wrong with the swimming pool that made swimming difficult for them.
The ‘utterly heartbroken’ mother said she would miss her late husband and the two children.
She said earlier media reports claiming they couldn’t swim incorrectly. She said she believed something was wrong with the pool that must have made swimming difficult for them then.’
The operator of the Costa del Sol hotel, however, stated that her claims were “directly at odds with the findings of the police report” into the tragedy.
According to The Guardia Civil in Spain, its investigation points to the incident being an accident caused by the victims’ lack of swimming expertise when in the deep zone of the pool.
The statement read in part, “Our family is utterly heartbroken by the events of last Tuesday, but we are comforted and strengthened by our strong faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
“We are deeply shocked, saddened and struggling to come to terms with their passing. They all brought joy and love to the world and to everyone that crossed their path. We love them all dearly, will always remember them in our hearts and miss them greatly.”
It added, “The whole family, all five of us went to the pool together and were all present when the incident occurred. The children were not left unattended.
“We followed the instructions displayed by the poolside at all times. The children went into the pool using the steps but found themselves dragged into the middle, which was more profound and called for help when they could not get out.
“My daughter did not fall into the water. My husband went in via the steps trying to help the two struggling while I ran to the nearby apartments shouting for help to assist my husband. By the time assistance came, the three of them were under the water.”
She added that investigations were ‘ongoing’ by Spanish police to determine what happened and claimed ‘no information has been passed to the family about their conclusions.
Hotel operator CLC World Resorts and Hotels said ‘diligent and exhaustive’ police investigations had confirmed the pool was working ‘normally’ and there was “no malfunction of any kind.”
The company added, “Our sympathies remain with the family at what we understand must be a stressful and desperately upsetting time for them.’ The Guardia Civil in Spain said: ‘The Civil Guard investigation, after carrying out different tests and taking statements from different people who were caught up in the Christmas Eve tragedy, points to a tragic accident which in principle was caused by the victims’ lack of swimming expertise.”
We won’t yield to sanctions pressure over Ukraine, says Putin.￼
NEWYORKGM– Western sanctions will never make Russia change its position on Ukraine, the Kremlin said on Tuesday.
Responding to a barrage of Western sanctions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said: “They are counting on forcing us to change our position. This is out of the question.”
Peskov told reporters that President Vladimir Putin had been briefed on a first round of talks between Russian and Ukrainian officials on Monday but it was too early to judge the outcome.
There were no plans for talks between Putin and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, he said, adding that Moscow still recognised Zelenskiy as Ukraine’s leader.
Zelenskiy, he said, could prevent further casualties if he gave the command to lay down arms.
Ukraine has refused to surrender and its forces have put up strong resistance to Russia’s assault from the north, east and south, which Moscow describes as a special operation to demilitarise and “denazify” the country – a justification dismissed by Kyiv and the West as war propaganda.
Peskov dismissed allegations of Russian strikes on civilian targets and the use of cluster bombs and vacuum bombs as fakes. He categorically denied that Russia had committed war crimes.
Ukraine says large numbers of civilians have been killed. Peskov said, without providing evidence, that Ukrainian nationalist groups were using people as human shields.
Peskov declined to comment on whether the Kremlin considers the capital Kyiv to be under the control of Nazis, referring the question to the Russian military.
Iran defies US sanction, sends five fuel tankers to Venezuela!
he news breaking at this hour is that the Iranian regime sent five Oil tankers to deliver a much-needed fuel to Venezuela. The report has it that one of the vessels entered the Venezuelan waters, a moment ago.
The news breaking at this hour is that the Iranian regime sent five Oil tankers to deliver much-needed gasoline to Venezuela. The report has it that one of the vessels entered the Venezuelan waters, a moment ago.
The oil tanker Fortune encountered no signs of US interference as it eased through Caribbean waters toward the Venezuelan coast late on Saturday. Venezuelan officials celebrated the arrival.
In a tweet, the Venezuelan foreign minister Jorge Arreaza said, “Iran and Venezuela have always supported each other in times of difficulty,” “Today, the first ship with gasoline arrives for our people.”
Hassan Rouhani, had earlier warned of retaliatory measures, should the Trump administration takes any action, that would impede the deliveries. The story is still developing. Please expect more updates.
Fact Checks’: Medical journal refutes Trump’s claims about the WHO
A British medical journal Tuesday rebutted claims by President Donald Trump that the World Health Organization had consistently ignored reports of the virus spreading in China in early December, including ones featured in its publication.
In a letter published Monday, Trump’s excoriated WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, saying the organization had “failed to independently investigate credible reports that conflicted directly with the Chinese government’s official accounts.”
“This statement is factually incorrect,” The Lancet, a general medical journal, responded in a statement. “The Lancet published no report in December 2019, referring to a virus or outbreak in Wuhan or anywhere else in China.”
The journal said the first reports it published were on January 24, adding that the scientists and physicians who led one of the studies were all from Chinese institutions.
“They worked with us to quickly make information about this new epidemic outbreak and the disease it caused fully and freely available to an international audience,” the statement said.
A second Lancet paper, also published on January 24, described the first scientific evidence confirming person-to-person transmission of the new virus, according to the journal. This report included scientists and physicians from Hong Kong and mainland China, it added.
The Lancet said allegations leveled against WHO in Trump’s letter were “serious and damaging” to efforts to strengthen international cooperation to control this pandemic.
“It is essential that any review of the global response is based on a factually accurate account of what took place in December and January,” the publication added.
Trump’s letter came as tensions ran high at the WHO’s general assembly Monday, with calls for an independent inquiry of the health body’s handling of the crisis and further criticism from the U.S. delegation.
Some observers say the WHO was far too credulous in believing Beijing’s reassurances, which it then amplified uncritically to the wider world.
In his letter, Trump also accused WHO of “missteps” and threatened to make the freeze on U.S. funding for the organization permanent.
Trump’s letter, which was posted to his Twitter account and cane during the World Health Assembly, accused the organization of an “alarming lack of independence from the People’s Republic of China.”
190,000 Africans may die of COVID-19 in 2020 – WHO
On Thursday, the World Health Organisation warned that Africa could lose up to 190,000 lives to COVID-19 in 2020 if containment measures fail.
The UN health agency cited a new study by its regional office in Brazzaville which found that between 83,000 and 190,000 could die and 29 to 44 million be infected during the period.
The research is based on prediction modelling and covers 47 countries with a total population of one billion, the WHO said in a statement.
“The model predicts the observed slower rate of transmission, lower age of people with severe disease and lower mortality rates compared to what is seen in the most affected countries in the rest of the world,” the statement said.
“The lower rate of transmission, however, suggests a more prolonged outbreak over a few years.”
WHO Africa Director Matshidiso Moeti said that “while COVID-19 likely won’t spread as exponentially in Africa as it has elsewhere in the world, it likely will smoulder in transmission hotspots”.
“COVID-19 could become a fixture in our lives for the next several years unless a proactive approach is taken by many governments in the region,” he added. “We need to test, trace, isolate and treat.”
Smaller countries as well as Algeria, South Africa and Cameroon were at exceptionally high risk unless effective containment measures were in force, the WHO said.
Africa has so far recorded 53,334 cases and 2,065 fatalities – out of a global death toll of nearly 267,000 -according to an AFP tally.
International7 months ago
Maziyke, Main Newspapers hardcover reports.
Bizare2 years ago
Pius and Dr, Ifenyiwa Angbo: The sad story of everyday Nigerian hardworking women.
latest news11 months ago
New Music-1People, words/melody by Emman I Agu-Maziyke
Entertainment3 years ago
PRESS RELEASE: CMC GLADIATORS OF REPUTE AND CORNEL ENTERTAINMENT TEAM COMMISERRATE WITH TVC, News.
Inside America3 years ago
Breaking News: Trump and Melania test positive for Covid-19.
Entertainment2 years ago
Cicely Tyson: BET And CBS News To Honor the iconic legend With Primetime Special
Entertainment2 months ago
WWE Sham Wrestlemania in Hollywood-MaZiyke
Entertainment2 years ago
Trump Pardons Lil Wayne and other Rappers
Inside America2 years ago
A strange Inauguration eve: why this night’s so different-AGU writes.
Inside America2 years ago
New Year Shocker: Texas judge dismisses suit aimed at overturning election results